Sunday, June 28, 2020

June 2020 - Covid 19 Hits Home

July 1, 2020                                                                 Most Recent Posts:
Greenfield Mountain Farm           A Birthday Brings a Road Trip Without Winnona
Virginia                                                                             Back to the Farm


Earl1The most difficult part of June this year was my father’s death from Covid 19.  He would have been 100 years old in October and Carrie, my brother, sister-in-law and I had planned to visit him then and celebrate.  He is one of the last WWII veterans and worked hard all his life to provide for his family.

But he hasn’t had much of a life in the past year or so.  His hearing is very weak so I have not been able to talk to him over the phone.  He has macular degeneration so he could not really see.  His memory declined as his dementia increased.  His loss has not been as difficult for me as David’s death since I know the quality of his life was not what he wanted.  I had been concerned about his getting covid as he lived in a Veteran’s Home. His was a very long long life though it was never the same after the death of my mother on whom he depended so greatly.   In all honesty, I believe he would be relieved and I hope I don’t live that long though I’m sorry he was so close to the century mark but didn’t make it.  He amazingly outlived his son-in-law though he only heard about his great grandchildren as he was never able to see them.


With life slowed down to a standstill, there isn’t much to blog about.  It’s good and bad that  Virginia is doing very well with its shut down in terms of # of Covid Cases and deaths.  It seems a safe place to be but there is nothing to do with so many rules.    Masks are required in public places.  Restaurants doing mainly or only take out. 

So here is my life in the slow lane.

Carrie sent a picture of Colin’s first haircut and of Celia’s 4 year check up.  They are the real bright spots in life at this point.

Lucky for Colin his babysitter is in cosmetology school and thus he can get a haircut in this time of quarantine.  Pretty sure you can distract Colin from anything with food.  Just like his GrandPapa David.


Celia seems pretty happy about the check up but this taken was before her immunizations though her mom said she didn’t cry.  That seems amazing.











Compare that picture of the smiling Celia to this one taken after her parents told her she could not go back in the pool as it was dinner time.  Isn’t she just a riot!  What an expression. 


Here at the farm, life goes on.  The fields need mowing but Shannon is too busy.  Yet this allows the wildflowers to grow.  Daisies begin to fill in the foreground of the overgrown pond.


Each day it seems there are more of them.


I love their smiling summer faces.


Star chickweed

Not a dandelion.  I believe it’s Common cat’s ear (Hypochaeris radicata)

The fields must be mown but when they are I lose the wildflowers and the wonderful sounds of the Whipoorwill who then moves on to other grasslands.


This was the full moon out the bedroom window when I was hearing the night sounds of the link below.

20200606_051545

Here’s the link.  The video is black but turn up the sound to hear the whippoorwill and the frogs that are my sleeping sound track


A weekly routine has developed with my friend Laurie as we discuss books each Saturday on zoom.   We are really enjoying The Overstory by Richard Powers and are stretching it out over multiple sessions.  My last post talked about our previous books.   Another recurring event is a nearly weekly dinner with Pam.

Usually it is take out but this time we were able to actually eat in and have margaritas.  Hers is regular, mine was strawberry.

IMG_20200607_180456772






I’ve had some visits from the neighbors.

Visits including this narrow fellow in the grass who is kind enough to keep the mice under control.

IMG_20200608_181748033

IMG_20200608_181709354


Salamander or skink on the cinder block steps into the shop?

IMG_3744


Have I mentioned the heat in Virginia?  Did I mention recurring 90’s IN JUNE not August and how I was supposed to be in Maine at Acadia National Park until things fell apart?  Well my much needed air conditioner also fell apart and had to have a new compressor.  Luckily, it was 9 years old and the warranty was 10 years so I only have to pay the not inconsequential labor costs but not the $1500 for the compressor itself. 

Even here in the country where it is admittedly 3 or 4 degrees cooler than Charlottesville, air conditioning is necessary in the late afternoon especially to deal with the humidity.

IMG_3737


Other”business” things of note for me are that since I am the executor of my father’s estate I get to start the process of going through everything to get his will executed.   I guess it will give me more “business” to attend to in these slow quarantine days.

In the mean time, I am trying unsuccessfully to get the IRS to tell me where my stimulus payment and my Income Tax Refund are.  I have spent hours on this task using every on line tool I could find but not, of course being able to talk to anyone at the IRS because they apparently are not working from home.  SO I have instead complained to my senator in Virginia the wonderful Tim Kaine and his office is working on the problem for me.

I have done some hiking in the latter half of the month so that will be in my next post.

P.S.  I have been receiving a lot of spam comments so I have changed my comments settings.  If you find you are unable to comment as you have done in the past, let me know via the email at rvdreamlife@gmail.com.

34 comments:

  1. Looks like your pics did not make it onto the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. somehow a working post got published yesterday but as of now, they should be visible. Sending a note out to those on the notification list in case they found the same thing.

      Delete
  2. So sorry that Dad didn't make it to 100, but I'm sure he was ready. How amazing that he was so well up until the last few years!!!

    Love the photos of your adorable grands...what wonderful personalities:o))

    We are working hard to stay cool, just like you. Boy would we love to be in Maine....maybe next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had failed a great deal since the lock down but I was sorry he didn't make it to 100 though I doubt we would have been able to celebrate with him.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry about your Dad, yet almost 100 years is a long time. Although it's hard to let go, I knew my Dad was ready to. And you do have family, those grands are delightful. I also love your meadows of tall grasses and flowers even though they may be tick infested and the lovely yard sounds. Maybe a mowed labyrinth would be nice. Though I don't like AC I know you need it and am glad was still warrantied. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some years ago we had a labyrinth mowed into the lower field and it was very nice.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about your Dad. It's a shame the virus got him and a shame they let that happen in elder homes. My condolences.
    Lucky you....Usually compressors go out a month after the warranty expires!!!! I was lucky too. My A/C fan went out last week and I was spared the $600 cost of a new one because it was still under warranty. Of course, I had to pay labor but.....Weather here is also exceedingly hot for this time of year. Hate to think of what it will be like in August. Hope I am not still locked down here. Guess you're spending a lot of time on the farm. That's nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our senior homes do not seem to be doing a good job of protecting our elderly. I fear that with the currently rising numbers, we will all be locked in a month from now just as we are now.

      Delete
  5. Catching up on posts, Sherry. I am sorry to hear about your father. I am thinking of all of the events he saw and lived through in 99 years. What a life. (I love the farm pictures.) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. It's good to hear from you. Hope your sister is doing well.

      Delete
  6. Sorry, Sherry, about your dad's passing. I am beginning to understand that living to be "old" has challenges of its own. I know we all struggle to live long...and genetics helps that along. It is never easy to say goodbye to a parent. Never. I must agree that you should find yourself soaking up the cool temps of Maine...and the beautiful coastline up there. Glad you dodged a bullet with the AC at the farm....way to work that warranty! Our fan motor just went out....and our unit is relatively new.....also had to pay the labor charge. ACs have to work overtime in Texas. Those kiddos...so many pics you post of Celia constantly draw me back to Abby's young years. Those girlies may be spirit animals!!! We enjoy Angela's nieces...now ages 14 and 9...ish Been in their lives since they were younger. Olivia is now 17!!!!! Fun to watch all of these kiddos grow up.....and see the various genetic traits. This Covid is challenging us all....and so very sorry that it took your dad's life....but so glad he lived many years on this earth. Always missing....and thinking of....our David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. I really hope I don't live so long I can no longer be independent. My summer plans all got cancelled in April so here I am. Amazing that Olivia is 17. What will happen to her Senior Year in High School?

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear about your dad. You have long lived people in your family it seems. I'm sure he's much happier now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes my great Aunt lived to 102 and I'm sure my father would have lived longer if it had not been for covid. I don't want to live that long personally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that the farm offers you quiet and peace amidst the other things you have to deal with. I'm also very lucky to be able to call you my friend- xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were only cooler!! And if we could only spend more time together.

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear you Dad has passed, I know how hard it is to see him go but he is now at peace. I hope your work as executor goes easy, I am still fighting issues with my Dad's estate 7 months after he passed.

    I can't believe your A/C lasted that long ans still had a warranty! Our new house's A/C broke down 12 months and two weeks after it was installed. Yup, two weeks out of warranty and it cost me over $1K to get it fixed!

    Hope VA opens up a little more in August, I have a motorcycle trip planned with my two brothers in southern VA first week of August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Looks like this estate is going to take a very long time since most everything is in Florida and I"m in Virginia and he had a trust. Ugg. Wow if it only cost you $1000 to get the AC fixed that seems like a bargain. Just the compressor for mine was $1500.

      Delete
  11. Condolences about your father's passing, tho it sounds as tho now it's a better place he's in. When my last parent passed away, I became-to my mind, at least-an orphan with no one to fill in answers from our family's past. Ah well....How is it that Democratic governors seem to pilot their folks through shut-downs and openings better than the Republican minions? Here in sunny HOTTER THAN VA(!), we may never open up safely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Barbara. I have thought about the fact that now I am an orphan. Seems very strange as you say. Not sure it is hotter than Virginia. 94 here today and 97 in a couple of days. I might as well be in Florida except I like the Virginia governor better for this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sherry, Sorry to hear about losing your father. Much harder when you are so far away and have covid to deal with. I guess being out at the farm is nicer during the quarantine times. I have been dealing with doctors about getting surgery on my back. I don't know how you can deal with maintaining 3 (including Winona) residences. We have enough trouble with our house and our beach house. We are thinking of selling the OBX house because it takes so much time and energy. We should get together next time you are in town. Let me know. Again, sorry about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comment Lynne. I can easily be in town any time you'd like to get together. It's cooler at the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry that you lost your father to this terrible virus. Losing a parent leaves a void, no matter how long they lived. But making it almost to 100...that's impressive. Although as you know, I share your feelings about not wanting to outlive my mind and my health.
    My favorite part of this post? That absolutely adorable photo of Celia making a scrunchy face because she can't go swimming. Hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing a father recently is just another one of the many things you and I have in common. I'm so glad you're my friend. I love that picture of Celia too.

      Delete
  16. So sorry to hear about your dad. Can't imagine living almost 100 years. He certainly saw a lot of changes in the world during his lifetime.
    Cecilia is such a cutie and looks so grown up in those photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's hard to imagine having been a child in the twenties which my father was and living through the great depression and then world war II at all of it. Amazing I'm just so sorry he didn't get to have a 100th birthday party. Thanks so much for the comment.

      Delete
  17. Grandfather lived such a long life! I'm sad it had to end before he reached 100, although he really probably was ready for whatever is next. The picture of Pam made me smile. I am so glad you have that special friendship. I need to send you more kid pictures!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did live such a long life as I said to Jim and Gail right above you. But I think you are right he was very tired. There can never be too many grandchildren pictures send them on. Love you all!!

      Delete
  18. I'm so glad I found your new blog Sherry by chance I was looking at Travels With Anna Emma and somehow ran into it you know how that goes click here in quick there and you find things I will surely be keeping up with your blonde again..
    I'm no longer blogging I couldn't keep up with all the changes that blogger used..
    Donna from grammynmaggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to see you here. Thanks so much for the comment I can't believe you stumbled on me. But I'll be happy to put you on the notice list if you'll send me your email. Mine is in the right-hand column here. I know what you mean about changes from blogger.

      Delete
  19. So sorry to hear about the loss of your father. What a life he led and what changes he saw during his lifetime! I hadn't realised that the States had issues with Covid in care homes too. The numbers of people catching Covid in care homes has been a big controversy here. I enjoyed the night time sound with the whipoorwill. It is night time here right now and I am in the summerhouse at the bottom of my garden, but all I can hear is the wind in the trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele. I'm glad to hear from you. Yes the states have terrible covid problems in homes where the elderly live. My dad seemed to be doing fine and then he wasn't. All it takes is one infected person who may not even know they are infected. I'm glad you enjoyed the whippoorwills. Having a summer house at the bottom of your garden sounds lovely.

      Delete
  20. The night sounds are so soothing. It is so nice you have friends to spend time with. My friends are all in distant places, but I have lots of family in and near Sacramento. It is very hot during the daytime here - hovering around 100 from about Noon to 7 or 8pm. I just stay indoors in the a/c.

    I'm sorry about your loss but glad you had him for so long. My dad died at 68, and a little bit of iight went out of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sad to lose our parents, making us the "older generation" overnight! You were fortunate to have so much time with Dad and I know you're relieved he is now at piece. We never got a stimulus check and gave up figuring out why. I hope you're successful getting yours! Love your wildflowers and peaceful natural night song. We have coyote calls in the distance and very early birds that start singing with the sunrise. Celia's expressions are priceless - who needs words?! Glad you're safe and staying in touch!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments help me in more ways than you can know. Thanks in advance.